The Know Your Rights Scholarship
At The Nieves Law Firm, we are passionate about criminal law. We make it a priority to stand up for individuals who find themselves facing overwhelming odds. As criminal defense attorneys, we have experience defending individuals and we know how easy it is for someone who isn’t aware of their rights to be taken advantage of during an arrest. This is an issue that we see far too often. We want to do something to change that.
We are proud to announce The Know Your Rights Scholarship in an effort to spread awareness about individual rights. When individuals are not armed with specific knowledge about their individual rights, they run the risk of making self-incriminating statements during or after an arrest. We hope that this scholarship will encourage discussion and help educate others about their individual rights. In a 750 word essay, discuss what you think should be done to increase awareness about individual rights and avoiding self-incrimination. One student will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship that will be put toward their education.
The Know Your Rights Scholarship is open to students who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Students must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate, or law program at an accredited university within the United States.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- High school students who wish to apply must be graduating and/or enrolled in a college or university by the scholarship deadline.
To apply for The Know Your Rights Scholarship, please be sure to submit the following material to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the scholarship deadline.
- A current resume with updated contact information and education status
- An official or unofficial transcript from your current or most recent educational institution
- A 750 word essay discussing what you feel should be done to increase awareness surrounding individual rights to help individuals avoid self-incrimination.
The deadline to submit your complete scholarship application is February 28, 2019.